Monday, September 6, 2010

The transfer

It is the first skill I will need. I am in bed next to my bed is a wheelchair. Sitting on the seat of the wheelchair is a small board may be 8" x 24". My job is simple I need to get my feet off of the bed. Raise my body to a sitting position. Place the board so that one end is on the wheelchair and the other is under my behind. Next, I need to move my body on my arms and slide several lifts from the bed to the chair. Finally, I need to remove a board and lifting my body with my arms positioned myself in the wheelchair.

 

It sounds very simple. It is the first thing I will need to master. After that, I will need to learn much the same move from the chair to a car seat. Of course, for every transfer there is a transfer in the other direction.

 

If I master this move I have gained a measure of independence.

 

If I master the transfer and the car transfer and a couple of other skills then I can go home. Going home is not the end of my therapy for the end of my learning what it is a big step and one that I dearly want to achieve.

No comments:

Post a Comment