Friday, September 24, 2010

Marco’s Half Tale

You meet some strange people at Harborview know my brief encounter with Marcos  in the rehab floor one room was one of the strangest encounters I have had in this place. Marcos was a grizzled Oriental, possibly Filipino who was sitting in lunch room holding a walker which he pretty obviously did not need. He explained that he had been in rehab but had been out for a while and was now back to complete an errand. He then explained that he had been in a wheelchair and while in the wheelchair had suffered a hard time in some unspecified manner. Now he said "it's payback time". I must say I was startled and somewhat appalled at a man who had recently been in a wheelchair wanting to attack his tormentors, whoever they might be.

He then explained that he had been a Blackwell pilot in Iraq and that he had modified his helicopter to allow it to carry more wounded soldiers. I asked how many and he said that the helicopter could carry seventeen wounded. I then asked if his injury had to do with a helicopter crash. He said no, he had the and in a bunker and the bunker a few rows down had been hit with a SCUD missile and during the attack he had inhaled cyanide gas. I found this story fairly fantastical and gave it relatively little credence.

His mission in rehab was to turn in the walker in exchange for a cane. The therapist explained that wants a piece of equipment was issued to a patient it could not be returned. When he asked what will I do with it she suggested that he donated to Goodwill. He then wondered whether Goodwill would be willing to trade a walker for a cane. I expressed grave doubts but suggested that canes had Goodwill were very cheap.

Marco’s response was to say "where will I get money? Will I have to jack a car?".

At some point of I asked why the Veterans Administration was not taking care of his case since he was clearly an Iraq veteran with a service related injury. He shook his head and said "the VA doesn't want anything to do with me"

I have no idea what the real story is in the end of this tale is that after he left the lunchroom I talked to one of the aides who had been dealing with them and said "I’ll bet that is a very interesting story that you are not allowed to tell me"

No comments:

Post a Comment