Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The Question

pokers were slowly heating on a bed of coals. Pumping the bellows he said “you are an abomination who has chosen state and over God and before I am through with you you'll beg for the purification of the fire.” He chose an iron which had turned a fine shade of white. As he applied it to the heretics arm the man began to scream.

In the hospital, they ask you about pain and perhaps because it is required in some obscure federal mandate it is always the same question, on a scale from 1 to 10 where one is an inconsequential pain and ten is the worst pain you can imagine we are just your pain fall?

‘I have a very good imagination as the first paragraph, almost a scene from a book I was reading at the time, illustrates. The first time I was asked this question, I was recovering from spinal surgery and I answered that I thought I had about level V pain. Meanwhile Verna who understood the game was frantically signaling with her fingers that I had a level VIII. Level VII or eight turns out to be a good answer if you want medication for your pain.

I have been asked this question a large number of times in the past few weeks and created as a binary question answers like 7, 8 and nine indicate that I want pain medication and any other answer says that I am really okay. I have no idea why people in hospitals need to play this silly game.

No comments:

Post a Comment