Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Freedom at last

Of all of the adaptations that I have made over the past six months, the one that has made the greatest difference in my life was obtaining a car with hand controls that I could drive and which gave me the ability to transport myself without assistance. After looking at a large number of cars, see a previous post, we ended up settling on the Nissan Cube.

 Nissan CubeWe chose the cube for several reasons,first, it was less ugly than the Toyota Scion, the other car that we seriously considered. The seats are low enough to allow transfers to be made easily and yet the doors are high enough so that the wheelchair may be passed into the car. There is enough room in the back to allow the wheelchair could be stored while at the same time carrying four passengers.

IMG_5252In this pictureI have just used a board to transfer from my wheelchair to drivers seat. The next staff in using the car is to disassemble the wheelchair And play the place the pieces where they can readily be used to reassemble the chair when I get where I'm going.

This shows the removal of the seat cushion.

IMG_5254

Here I am removing a wheel

IMG_5257

Because the frame is too heavy for me to lift off the ground I clip a strap with a ratchet to the front allowing me to hoist the frame in several steps

HIMG_5260

IMG_5263

Finally placing it in the passenger seat

IMG_5266

and driving offIMG_5271

No comments:

Post a Comment