Saturday, May 28, 2011

A Bicycle for Brother Steven (3 of ?)

Success -
Until a few weeks ago I was unable to use the bicycle effectively. While I was able to move the flywheel, I lacked the strength to go over the top and make a complete cycle. After major efforts finding the right position of the bicycle, the right position of my legs (slouching to bring in more abdominal muscles) and the right way to start, a few pushes on the left, weaker, leg I finally got the bicycle to move under my own power.

The advantage of a bicycle over the earlier motor driven device is that I know that the effort comes from me whereas with any kind of a motor it is very hard to separate what your legs are doing from what is contributed by the motor.
Also, unlike the pool which has limited hours and represents a major expedition, cycling may be started at any time with limited effort and may be performed while watching television, thus combining entertainment and exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment