Tuesday, March 29, 2011

More Movement

it was several weeks since I discovered the ability to move my left leg toward the center. For that period it seemed that the one muscle on the left leg was the only one in which I had any movement. Suddenly I found a number is muscles had movements which started off as almost imaginary and gradually gained reality at least under the zero gravity conditions of the hot tub.
   I discovered the ability to  move my right leg both in (toward the center) and out. I discovered that the left leg had some ability to move out as well as in.  By holding my knees in a manner where the leg could swing freely, I found I could swing my feet out and, more recently I discovered the ability to swing the feet in as well. 

So far almost all of this movement is in the zero gravity environment of the hot tub or a pool. The movements have little power and, with a few exceptions such as the inward movement of the left leg, little ability to work in a full gravity environment. Still each day, all of the movements get a little stronger and more effective. It is way too early to tell where all of this will lead.

I know that I am very, very lucky. Few people with spinal cord injury have significant recovery of function. I am working hard ot see what I can do with this opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment