Thursday, December 16, 2010

Fired by my occupational therapist

Today I was fired by my occupational therapist. There are two kinds of therapists that you can see a lot. Physical therapists are responsible for training you in the use of your body with all of its limitations. Occupational therapists are interested in getting you back to a normal life. This may include getting back to work but it also includes many of the changes to get around in your house, to be able to use the kitchen, the bathroom and many of the other facilities that are part of a normal life.

Ever since my accident I have been seen by both physical and occupational therapists. Now that I am an outpatient I have been seeing my physical therapist about once a week and my occupational therapist almost as often. Today my occupational therapist told me that I had mastered many of the skills that she wanted to teach and that barring major new issues I would probably not need your help in the future.

I suppose that I cannot argue. I am working, at least half-time. We have made most of the accommodations we intend to make to the house and I understand the critical issues in making the remaining modifications. We just purchased a car and it is being modified to allow me to drive with hand controls. I am cooking and helping out with many other household chores. I suppose my therapist has a point that a little over four months after my accident, while I still have a lot to learn and a lot to improve, I have established new patterns of my life and they are rapidly becoming a complete story.

No comments:

Post a Comment